Throughout our days we all experience an array of emotions. There are times were we need to release built up stress. Some days feels like you start off empowered and then you hit a wall.
It is important to stop at some point during the day and take a quick break. When you take a break from your work and do some simple energy exercises you activate your respiratory system. Think along the lines of opening a valve that lets off some steam. When you are feeling like a pressure cooker, you need to release congested energy from your body.
Here is a series of exercises for opening the valve, releasing the stress built up and allowing your energy to flow. These exercises can be done at any time and take about 5 minutes of time. The following are techniques which pull in extra oxygen, release carbon dioxide, stretch the body so energy can more readily flow through it, and opens the joints, releasing trapped energy.
Step 1: When we have the feeling of stress or anger within the body it is important to release. By doing this simple breathing exercise it begins a short process to realign (this takes about 30 seconds).
1. Stand with your hands on your thighs, fingers spread, and take a deep breath.
2. With the exhalation, make a “Shhhhhhhhhhh “sound, as if telling someone to be quiet.
3. With a deep inhalation, swing your arms out to your sides, and complete the circle by bringing them high above your head.
4. Turn your hands around so your palms are facing up and make fists.
5. With a loud “Shhhhhhhhhh” as you exhale, bring your fisted hands down swiftly, opening them as they drop near your thighs.
6. Bring to mind the source of your anger and make your movements quick and forceful. Repeat three times.
7. Feel your muscles and power unfolding as you slowly and deliberately pull down your arms.
8. Repeat until you feel the anger dissipate.
Step 2: Do a crown pull. Your body is a delicately balanced machine. Polarity reversal disrupts your energy system causing you to feel out of balance. To do the crown pull exercise you will need about 15 to 20 seconds. Take a deep breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, one or two times.
1. Slowly, and with some pressure with your thumbs push down gently with some pressure in the center of the forehead and pull your thumbs up so you stretch the skin moving up and over your eyebrows allowing your hands to move away from each other, sweeping the left hand left and the right hand right, continue pulling off the head and sweeping the energy into the air.
2. Take a deep breath and pull your fingers firmly once again to wipe away excess energy.
3. Rest your fingertips at the center of your forehead and repeat the stretch (as many times needed).
4. Take thumbs again and pull straight up to the hairline, continuing off the top of the head into the air, releasing what no longer needs to be there.
5. Rest your fingertips at your hairline and repeat the stretch as needed.
Step 3: Time to do a stretching exercise. Qi exercises: raising the arms.
- stand with feet shoulder width apart
- feet parallel and facing 12:00
- imagine head lifted from crown
- chin tucked in slightly
- eyes forward and relaxed
- shoulders relaxed
- arms hang loosely down
- fingers gently apart and slightly curved
- palms towards body
- tailbone tucked in
- knees relaxed - slightly bent
- breathe out
- sink body down; knees just slightly bent
- turn palms face out to back
Raise arms to shoulders:
- fingers downwards and slightly curved
- breathe in
- raise body
- draw arms up to shoulder height and width
- palms face down
- elbows and wrists slightly bent
Return arms to sides:
- turn palms face out to front
- fingers upwards and slightly curved
- breathe out
- sink body down with knees slightly bent
- draw arms down to thighs
- palms face out to back
Repeat: raise arms to shoulders thru return arms to sides 6 -8 times
Return to opening position:
- breathe in
- raise body
- palms face thighs
Step 4: The following exercise will lessen the feeling of being overwhelmed or a little crazed; you can sedate your triple warmer meridian. This is a quick method to flush it (takes about 1 to 2 minutes).
1. Place your fingers at your temples. Hold for one deep breath, again breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth.
2. On another deep in-breath, slowly slide your fingers up and around your ears, smoothing the skin while maintain some pressure.
3. On the out-breath, slide your fingers down and behind your ears, press them down the sides of your neck, and hang them on your shoulders.
4. Push your fingers into your shoulders and then, when you are ready, firmly drag them over the top of your shoulders and smooth them to the middle of your chest, over your heart chakra, with one hand resting on tip of the other. This brings you home to yourself.
5. Hold here for several deep breaths.
Step 5: End with a vigorous Cross Crawl. This is an exaggerated walk. It facilitates the crossover of energy between the brain’s right and left hemispheres. It was designed to help feel more balanced, think clearer, improve coordination, harmonize your body and energy (takes about 30 seconds).
1. While standing, lift your right arm and left leg simultaneously.
2. As you let them down, raise your left arm and right leg. If you are unable to do this because of a physical disability, there is an alternative. While sitting, lift your right knee and touch it with your left hand. Then lower them, lift your left leg, and touch it with your right hand.
3. Repeat, this time exaggerating the lift of your leg and the swing of your arm across the midline to the opposite side of your body.
By using some variation of the daily routine if not each of the above listed your neurovascular system will not fight so hard to gain control. The following exercises do not take a great deal of time and the techniques are good tools to have to keep your energy moving. Your body will be more receptive to the treatment, and your health is more likely to build from one session to the next. You may even find that by incorporating these simple techniques each day will allow your stressors not be so extreme.
In closing there is one other technique I would like to speak to. This is simply done at the end of the day in your own home. All you need is a true stainless steel spoon. Simply rub a stainless steel spoon over the bottom of your feet. The metal draws excess energies down and off the feet. This is referred to literally as “Spooning”. By simply rubbing the spoon on the bottoms of each foot it creates a subtle yet centering effect on your nervous system, leaving you feeling grounded and refreshed.
There are many articles and books out there that go more in depth about releasing stress from the body. The information provided in/on this website is for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of what is considered alternative "healing", not to provide specific advice.
Rev. Heather DeLusso